Black Château is a marketing and PR agency that specializes in promoting authors and their books. The company developed the proprietary Author Network, an affordable marketing and PR strategy for authors that includes the most-desired services, such as book reviews, author interviews, articles, and author events.
The Author Network by Black Château
The Author Network is a bundle of services offered by Black Château. It includes the must-have services for promoting books during book launches. In some cases, the program can be adapted to help revitalize book sales for a book that is already released or backlisted.
There are two tiers, and each is designed as a six-month retainer. Depending on your needs, we can add other services and create a custom retainer for longer time frames.
Author Network Tier One
Book Reviews—Several strategies are used to garner book reviews. We have a multi-pronged approach that includes methods commonly used by book publishers, as well as using our own team of Black Château Book Bloggers.
- A three-month listing on NetGalley for advanced reviews. (Dates subject to availability.)
- Books or ARCs sent to Black Château’s Book Bloggers—We have over 40 Book Bloggers on our team
- Book reviews are typically posted on: Instagram, Facebook, Amazon, Goodreads, on a reviewer’s own blog or website, and other social media profiles
Press Release—Black Château has over 15,000 media contacts. We curate a customized list that targets media specific to your book and your unique story behind the story. Your press release will announce your book, or another news-worthy topic.
- Your custom list will include at least 3,000 email addresses
- Press release may be posted on the Black Château website, or your website so you have a link to share on social media and can reap SEO benefits
- Two revisions included (additional revisions $75 each)
Press and Media Pitching—You and your book will be offered to members of the press and media. They may want to review the book, include it in an article, or interview you as an author.
- Our media list are sent tip sheets with a list of authors/books to consider
- You will be included once per month. (Pre-launch books included after their press release is distributed.)
- Examples of media placements and interest we’ve received for past clients include: BBC, Marketwatch, USA Today blog, Forbes, CNN International, KTLA Morning News, LA Talk Radio, Fox News, Vertikal Life Magazine, The DISHH, Associated Press, The Good Men Project, Huffington Post, Buzzfeed, ESPN Radio, LA Wave Magazine, Tolucan Times, com and more
- More robust media pitching packages for TV and top-level outlets are available – inquire for custom quote
Books That Make You—Our consumer website, Books That Make You, features articles, reviews, interviews and contests. It is a bookish brand that targets booklovers. You will be included in several Books That Make You promotions.
- One article, interview, book review, or other type of stand-alone on the website
- Social media mentions on Books That Make You Insta and Facebook page
- Benefit from advertising and promotional strategies for the website
- Inclusion in monthly B2C newsletter with a subscriber list of over 16,000 at least twice
Listicle Article Placement—Your book will be included in a Listicle Article which is placed on one of our websites and promoted through native advertising, social media, and other strategic paid and organic promotions. For pre-released books, they may be featured as a teaser (coming soon) book at least one month prior to the book’s launch.
- Articles match a strategized editorial calendar that coincides with current trends, consumer reading habits and seasonal buying patterns
- A link to your Amazon book page, your website, or other retailers will be included
- Driving traffic to Amazon and retailers like Barnes & Noble helps your book get promoted through their remarketing and advertising channels
- Some articles receive over a million impressions on native publisher platforms, and over 4,000 click-throughs.
- Sites that regularly feature these articles include: CNN, Slate, Mashable, Bored Panda, Publishers Clearinghouse, BBC, Oprah, The Guardian and up to 1300 other publisher/magazine/news websites
- Facebook, Instagram, and/or other platforms are used for organic and paid promotions
- You will be in at least one listicle during an average six-month retainer, likely two
Contests and Book Giveaways—Book contests and giveaways help raise awareness about your books, build your brand, build audiences and email subscribers, and increase social media followers.
- Your book will be included in at least two giveaways during an average six-month retainer, likely two
- Book giveaways are posted on social media platforms, websites and newsletters
Additional Services and Features for the Author Network Tier Two
You receive all the services listed above, with much more. Designed for the serious author who is still on a budget, the enhanced features provide more exposure and publicity for your book launch.
Book Reviews—Includes strategies listed for Tier One, with enhancements to help generate more authentic book reviews.
- An additional month of NetGalley – four months instead of three
- Advertising and/or social media postings to help make sure your listing is seen by as many interested book reviewers as possible
Press Release—Includes everything listed for Tier One, plus:
- Online wire distribution with pickup on up to 300 news aggregators, Google AMP and Apple News
Press and Media Pitching—The hustle factor makes a difference. Rather only being included in one pitch sheet per month, we will do custom pitching which results in more media opportunities.
Books That Make You—Our consumer website, Books That Make You, will feature you and your book with everything in Tier One, plus:
- Two articles, interviews, book reviews, or other type of stand-alone on the website instead of one
- Interview on the Books That Make You Show (airs on MyStar95.com and as a podcast)
- A Featured Spotlight in the B2C newsletter with a subscriber list over 16,000
Listicle Article Placement—Your book will be included in at least two listicle articles, likely three.
Contests and Book Giveaways—Your book will be included in at least three giveaways during your retainer.
- One may be an optional custom contest featuring solely your book and giveaway items
Events and Appearances—You will be invited to Black Château events and be included in the media opportunities that go along with them (meaning press releases, news articles and/or social media that promote the events.) If you can’t be here in person, we will still promote your book and have done this with clients from Canada, Russia, Haiti, South Korea, Hungary, South Africa and more. Plus, you may be invited to participate in the virtual events. Types of events include panels, author readings, conventions:
- The LA Times Festival of Books
- West Coast Writers Conferences (happens two or three times per year)
- Beach Bound Book Bash
- Scary Stories Around the Fire Halloween Author Reading
- Annual Jingle Books Online Party
- The BookFest® – virtual online book event attended from around the world
Online Book Tour—Black Château will coordinate a customized online book tour with our book blog partners to give it big boost as it launches. An online book tour gives you content to share on your social media, can boost your SEO, and lets the book-loving community know your book is available. The tour will be timed to go along with your book’s official launch.
- Two-week book tour
- Minimum of ten blog sites
Listing in Bookstore Catalogs and Magazines—Black Château is a member of, and partners with, the IBPA (Independent Book Publishers Association) and does one and two-page listings in their Bookstore Catalog, Indie Titles. These are book industry publications that are sent to bookstore buyers, librarians, booksellers and more. Up to 3,500 booksore buyers are on their mailing list. Your book will be featured in this listing with other titles from Black Château.